Subject: Re: *PPP HELP!* well.. I'm kinda stuck :(
To: tcjam <tcjam@voicenet.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/1997 16:33:37
[problems from pppd not in path]

> Ahh, unless I don't have a clue I believe setting your path to include
> /sbin /usr/sbin /bin /usr/bin and any other paths where you have binaries
> will be very helpful. If you take the above advice, when pppd goes and
> looks for chat (which is what "talks" to you modem) it won't find it. And
> if I understand what pppd does when it tries to connect ( which I'm not
> sure I do) it waits for a certain string from the chat program, a connect
> report or something. It will keep waiting for this string untill it gets
> it or you kill the pppd process.

Kinda. pppd will, if given a "connect <command>" option, execute
<command>. If <command> returns 0, pppd assumes a connection's been
made, and it should start doing ppp stuff. Usually, <command> is
a call to the chat program. It could also be a script which calls
chat using a round-robbin list of phone numbers.

chat is the program which deals with expect-send pairs. chat will time
out after a bit.

Take care,

Bill