Subject: Re: *PPP HELP!* well.. I'm kinda stuck :(
To: Andy Sinesio <andy@imaginet.com>
From: tcjam <tcjam@voicenet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/1997 19:23:54
On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Andy Sinesio wrote:

> >Hi, I've used netbsd before..got this group helped me get my ppp to work,
> >with the ppp.setup.tgz files..which well very helpfull. I just installed
> >netbsd 1.2 on a mac IIvx, including the pppsetup archive. I've set up all
> >the ppp files, including my pap secrets file ( which has * * mypasswd)
> >inside it, edited the resolv.conf.down file, copied it into /etc, edited
> >options, ppp-chat, ppp-numbers, and everything, and when I do ./ppp-up in
> >my /etc/ppp i get something like:
> > connecting...  pppd: command not found
> >done.
> >
> >I installed all of netbsd, and i know pppd is installed because i found it
> >in sbin. Guys, can anyone here help me :) ?
> >
> >Thanks!
>
> Ok, I had the same problem.
>
> The scripts look for "pppd" in the same folder (/etc/ppp/) as ppp. To fix
> this, i made a link to the real pppd and put it in the ppp directory.
> For a fix, do:
>
> ln /etc/ppp/pppd /sbin/pppd
>
> That should* fix the problem.  I still couldn't get ppp to work
> correctly, it would connect but then nothing would happen... anyway, try
> that.
>
> Andy Sinesio

Ahh, unless I don't have a clue I believe setting your path to include
/sbin /usr/sbin /bin /usr/bin and any other paths where you have binaries
will be very helpful. If you take the above advice, when pppd goes and
looks for chat (which is what "talks" to you modem) it won't find it. And
if I understand what pppd does when it tries to connect ( which I'm not
sure I do) it waits for a certain string from the chat program, a connect
report or something. It will keep waiting for this string untill it gets
it or you kill the pppd process.

Good luck,
tcjam

                                 \||||/
                                  o  o
|| "Please explain the scientific nature         |  tcjam@voicenet.com ||
||   of the whammy." -Scully                     ______________________||
|| "Foolproof systems don't take into account,                         ||
||  the ingenuity of fools" -Unknown 			               ||
||   PGP key can be obtained from:                                     ||
||      http://www.voicenet.com/~tcjam/home/keys.html                  ||