Subject: Re: Apple Ethernet NB Card
To: Sean Figgins <sfiggins@petris.com>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@Glue.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/1997 17:26:16
On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Sean Figgins wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Christopher R. Bowman wrote:
>
> > As with any list this one is only as usefull as the information you give
> > *US* to help you with.  How is any one supposed to give you any meaningfull
> > help with only "I'm having problems getting the kernel on the machine
> > to recompile"?  You will probably only get speculation as to what
> > your problem is and most likely WRONG speculation at that.  We will solve
> > a lot of problems but most likely not *YOUR* problem.
>
> Sorry.

Well, now you know and as GI JOE used to say when I was a kid, knowing is half
the battle ;-)

> > NOW: having said all that *I WILL* speculate, I believe but I can't remember
> > for sure that the Apple Ethernet NB Card is unsupported.  There is one
> > quick and easy way to tell for sure: open up the machine, and look at the
> > card, if it has a national DP8390, 83902, or 83932 then it should be
> > supported, if it has a Motorola 68000 processor instead then you are hosed
> > the 68000 based cards don't work and barring an act of god (or if Allen
> > decides to work on them) they will never work.
>
> It seems to have both a National DP83932BVF and a Motorola MC68000FN10 on
> board.  It also has a couple of Texas Inst. chips and some Oki chips.
> The product is marked as a Apple Ethernet NB Card.  I've got a Mac II,
> IIsi, IIcx, IIfx and 2 IIcis.  They all have the same card.  I'm using
> the IIsi because it is the only one that is not used, that I have a
> monitor card for.

BUZZZT!  That was what I was afraid of this card doesn't and probably
never will work.  even thought it has DP83932BVF it uses the
MC68000FN10 (10 Mhz 68000 little faster than on a Mac SE) to do the
processing of packets, there is no driver that runs it due to a lack
of documentation of the hardware sufficient to permit a driver to be
written by the people with the know-how.

> > If you do have one of the right chips, then if you have the right driver
> > in your kernel it should be recognized automatically(you still have
> > to set it up right but if the kernel recognizes it then you won't need
> > a kernel recompile.)  The ae driver is needed for 8390 and 83902 chips
> > and I guess it is the sn driver that is needed for 83932 chips,
> > doing a netstat -i should tell you if the drivers are in the kernel.
>
> It recognized the card, I think.  It gives me this message:
>
> nubus0: Slot 9: Apple Ethernet NC Card (Vendor: Copyright xxxxxx) not configured.
>
> So...  If it recognized the card, why can't I do a ifconfig on the
> thing.  When I do a netstat -i, I see listed:

I can't find the code right at the moment that prints out what you have
above, but I can tell you that despite it recognizing the card, it
won't run, and we don't have a driver for it

I WAS WRONG however the netstat man page netstat -i clearly sais:

     -i    Show the state of interfaces which have been auto-configured (in-
           terfaces statically configured into a system, but not located at
           boot time are not shown).

so netstat will show you the driver if it matched hardware but in your
case since no driver matches this card at probe time no ethernet driver
will show up even if you had one config'ed in your kernel when it was
built

> ppp0
> ppp1
> lo0
> lo0
> sl0
>
> The lo is the loopback, the ppp? is the ppp device, and the sl is the
> slip device.  Is this correct?

Yes.

> > As for kernel compiles, what did you try and what/where did it go wrong,
> > what specifically was your error?
>
> As far as kernel compiles, I have not found a useful way to get it on the

it as in what?  Are you cross compiling from another platform?
or are you having trouble getting sources on to your MabBSD machine?

> system to begin with.  There isn't too many useful utilities that gome
> with the initial install, other that tip, and the serial port seems too

Huh?  Did you get the full set of install files?
meaning lets see: base comp misc man etc text (maybe a few others,
I haven't seen them for 18 months or so)

> slow for the to work extremely well.  I've got a FT1 internet link, but
> no link to the machine.  Also, even though I could find the ppp device

I don't know how you are fixed for disk space between the macos and unix
partitions, if you have a fractional T1 or what ever high speed link that
works under MacOS then you can use MacOS tools to get anything you
want for the unix side by transfering the stuff under macos to the macos
partion, and then using the installer's cpio function to copy it over
to the unix partions.  I thought that gzip came with the system (it might
not, but I have it on mine, maybe I compiled it myself, but I don't
remember doing that).  Man pppd will tell you something about the ppp
daemon, man chat will tell you about the most popular way to get the
pppd demaon to do the login sequence for you.
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/ has some generally usefull pointers
including one to the FAQs and such.

Please ask us if you have any more questions, but remember the more
specific you can be, I am trying to do x, I typed y and I got z, what
is going on/why don't it work then the more help we can be.

> support in the kernel, I could not find any other mention of in in the
> system.  No utilities or man pages.  So...  Does this mean that I'm stuck
> trying to download this thing over a 9600 link to my NT machine via tip
> and uudecode?

Maybe I am just dumb, I don't understand what exactly you are trying to do
and what problems you are having.

> I was certainly hoping that the kernel would support the thing out of the
> box.  It's certainly a popular enough card.
>
> ---
> Sean Figgins, Network and Systems Coordinator - figgins@petris.com
> Petris Technology, Inc., 2950 North Loop West, Suite 1050,
> Houston, TX  77092     Voice:  713-956-2165     FAX:  713-956-2185

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@Glue.umd.edu
My home page