Subject: Re: Apple Ethernet NB Card
To: Sean Figgins <sfiggins@petris.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/1997 13:27:43
> It seems to have both a National DP83932BVF and a Motorola MC68000FN10 on
> board.  It also has a couple of Texas Inst. chips and some Oki chips.
> The product is marked as a Apple Ethernet NB Card.  I've got a Mac II,
> IIsi, IIcx, IIfx and 2 IIcis.  They all have the same card.  I'm using
> the IIsi because it is the only one that is not used, that I have a
> monitor card for.

Well, that's the killer. With an MC68000 on board, the card uses
the A/ROSE extensions (a way of talking to cards with on-board
CPU's) which we don't support. Though there are documents which probably
decribe the A/ROSE stuff, we don't knwo how Apple talked to the
card (what it would say).

> > If you do have one of the right chips, then if you have the right driver
> > in your kernel it should be recognized automatically(you still have
> > to set it up right but if the kernel recognizes it then you won't need
> > a kernel recompile.)  The ae driver is needed for 8390 and 83902 chips
> > and I guess it is the sn driver that is needed for 83932 chips,
> > doing a netstat -i should tell you if the drivers are in the kernel.
>
> It recognized the card, I think.  It gives me this message:
>
> nubus0: Slot 9: Apple Ethernet NC Card (Vendor: Copyright xxxxxx) not configured.

The "not configured" at the end explaines the next bit. The kernel recognized
that it can't work with the card, and tried to tell you so.

> So...  If it recognized the card, why can't I do a ifconfig on the
> thing.  When I do a netstat -i, I see listed:
>
> ppp0
> ppp1
> lo0
> lo0
> sl0
>
> The lo is the loopback, the ppp? is the ppp device, and the sl is the
> slip device.  Is this correct?

Yes.

> > As for kernel compiles, what did you try and what/where did it go wrong,
> > what specifically was your error?
>
> As far as kernel compiles, I have not found a useful way to get it on the
> system to begin with.  There isn't too many useful utilities that gome
> with the initial install, other that tip, and the serial port seems too
> slow for the to work extremely well.  I've got a FT1 internet link, but
> no link to the machine.  Also, even though I could find the ppp device
> support in the kernel, I could not find any other mention of in in the
> system.  No utilities or man pages.  So...  Does this mean that I'm stuck
> trying to download this thing over a 9600 link to my NT machine via tip
> and uudecode?

The serial ports will go higher than 9600. The only problem with the
current driver is that it won't drop RTS when it should.

Did you try man pppd? It is in there. There are also ppp setup kits
on ftp.macbsd.com in the contrib section.

> I was certainly hoping that the kernel would support the thing out of the
> box.  It's certainly a popular enough card.

Yeah, it's just that documenting it wasn't popular with Apple.

Take care,

Bill