Subject: Re: Apple Ethernet NB Card
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Sean Figgins <sfiggins@petris.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/1997 15:07:54
On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Christopher R. Bowman wrote:

> As with any list this one is only as usefull as the information you give
> *US* to help you with.  How is any one supposed to give you any meaningfull
> help with only "I'm having problems getting the kernel on the machine
> to recompile"?  You will probably only get speculation as to what
> your problem is and most likely WRONG speculation at that.  We will solve
> a lot of problems but most likely not *YOUR* problem.

Sorry.

> NOW: having said all that *I WILL* speculate, I believe but I can't remember
> for sure that the Apple Ethernet NB Card is unsupported.  There is one
> quick and easy way to tell for sure: open up the machine, and look at the
> card, if it has a national DP8390, 83902, or 83932 then it should be
> supported, if it has a Motorola 68000 processor instead then you are hosed
> the 68000 based cards don't work and barring an act of god (or if Allen
> decides to work on them) they will never work.

It seems to have both a National DP83932BVF and a Motorola MC68000FN10 on
board.  It also has a couple of Texas Inst. chips and some Oki chips.
The product is marked as a Apple Ethernet NB Card.  I've got a Mac II,
IIsi, IIcx, IIfx and 2 IIcis.  They all have the same card.  I'm using
the IIsi because it is the only one that is not used, that I have a
monitor card for.

> If you do have one of the right chips, then if you have the right driver
> in your kernel it should be recognized automatically(you still have
> to set it up right but if the kernel recognizes it then you won't need
> a kernel recompile.)  The ae driver is needed for 8390 and 83902 chips
> and I guess it is the sn driver that is needed for 83932 chips,
> doing a netstat -i should tell you if the drivers are in the kernel.

It recognized the card, I think.  It gives me this message:

nubus0: Slot 9: Apple Ethernet NC Card (Vendor: Copyright xxxxxx) not configured.

So...  If it recognized the card, why can't I do a ifconfig on the
thing.  When I do a netstat -i, I see listed:

ppp0
ppp1
lo0
lo0
sl0

The lo is the loopback, the ppp? is the ppp device, and the sl is the
slip device.  Is this correct?

> As for kernel compiles, what did you try and what/where did it go wrong,
> what specifically was your error?

As far as kernel compiles, I have not found a useful way to get it on the
system to begin with.  There isn't too many useful utilities that gome
with the initial install, other that tip, and the serial port seems too
slow for the to work extremely well.  I've got a FT1 internet link, but
no link to the machine.  Also, even though I could find the ppp device
support in the kernel, I could not find any other mention of in in the
system.  No utilities or man pages.  So...  Does this mean that I'm stuck
trying to download this thing over a 9600 link to my NT machine via tip
and uudecode?

I was certainly hoping that the kernel would support the thing out of the
box.  It's certainly a popular enough card.

---
Sean Figgins, Network and Systems Coordinator - figgins@petris.com
Petris Technology, Inc., 2950 North Loop West, Suite 1050,
Houston, TX  77092     Voice:  713-956-2165     FAX:  713-956-2185