Subject: Re: emacs, etc
To: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/1997 14:40:51
On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:
> Although I shutdown the system meticulously, when I boot it up again I
> usually get told about some corruption, which the boot process then fixes.
> This happens even when I havent done anything especially naughty. It
> doesn't bother my use of the system, just makes me worry a little. Should I?

As in you always do something like "shutdown -r now" (or "shutdown -h
now")? If fsck finds corruption after a clean shutdown, then yes, you
should be worried... Is this perhaps the ncrscsi problem? I don't know too
much about it, but I believe that the ncrscsi driver can corrupt
filesystems on certain machines and drives. So, if you're using it, you
might try a kernel with the "sbc" driver instead (GENERICSBC-whatever).

> Also, emacs doesn't seem to be present - where can I get it?

You can get the source from
ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/emacs-19.34b.tar.gz ... an older precompiled
package is in ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-Amiga/contrib/

> Also, a lot of documentation uses a number in parens after a name, as,e.g.
> link(2).
> What is the significance of this?

That's the section number of the manual page. Section 1 is for user
commands, 2 is for system calls, 3 is C library stuff, etc... sometimes
the same name will be in more than one section, so the documentation uses
the parens to specify which section it's referring to. For example,
compare "man 1 printf" with "man 3 printf". Or "man 1 intro", "man 2
intro", "man 3 intro", . . ., "man 8 intro", and "man 9 intro".
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++