Subject: Re: Apple Ethernet NB Card
To: Sean Figgins <sfiggins@petris.com>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@Glue.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/1997 15:16:39
On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Sean Figgins wrote:

> Hi, I got my IIsi to boot automaticalls (Thanks everyone for the help),
> now I'm having problems getting the Ethernet card to work.  I get the
> message at boot:
>
> nubus0: slot 9: Apple Ethernet NB Card (Vendor blah blah blah) not configured
>
> Now, I had assumed that I would have to recompile the kernel to get this
> thing to work, however, I'm having problems getting the kernel on the
> machine to recompile.  Am I going about this all wrong, or is this device
> not supported in the 1.2.1 kernel?
>
> Any guidence would be appriciated.
>
> ---
> Sean Figgins, Network and Systems Coordinator - figgins@petris.com
> Petris Technology, Inc., 2950 North Loop West, Suite 1050,
> Houston, TX  77092     Voice:  713-956-2165     FAX:  713-956-2185

As with any list this one is only as usefull as the information you give
*US* to help you with.  How is any one supposed to give you any meaningfull
help with only "I'm having problems getting the kernel on the machine
to recompile"?  You will probably only get speculation as to what
your problem is and most likely WRONG speculation at that.  We will solve
a lot of problems but most likely not *YOUR* problem.

Looking back it might seem that I am flaming you, but you shouldn't read
it that way (I'm not).  I want to help you, I have regularly compiled
kernels and have ethernet working and if I can get it working then it
doesn't take a rocket scientist, after all I got it working (well I was
a rocket scientist, but that isn't really the point ;-)

NOW: having said all that *I WILL* speculate, I believe but I can't remember
for sure that the Apple Ethernet NB Card is unsupported.  There is one
quick and easy way to tell for sure: open up the machine, and look at the
card, if it has a national DP8390, 83902, or 83932 then it should be
supported, if it has a Motorola 68000 processor instead then you are hosed
the 68000 based cards don't work and barring an act of god (or if Allen
decides to work on them) they will never work.

If you can't tell which it has pick the largest chip on the card,
write down all the markings on that chip and mail it to the list.

If you do have one of the right chips, then if you have the right driver
in your kernel it should be recognized automatically(you still have
to set it up right but if the kernel recognizes it then you won't need
a kernel recompile.)  The ae driver is needed for 8390 and 83902 chips
and I guess it is the sn driver that is needed for 83932 chips,
doing a netstat -i should tell you if the drivers are in the kernel.

As for kernel compiles, what did you try and what/where did it go wrong,
what specifically was your error?

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@Glue.umd.edu