Subject: Re: X problems - redirecting stderr
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/14/1997 17:19:22
As it was explained to me, the Xserver needs to have /dev/grfx where x is
one more than the number of grf devices that are actually configured on
your system.  I think it needs it in order to find out the, even though
the device node exists, there isn't really any physical device there.  A
pretty screwy way of figuring out how many displays you have...

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Armen Babikyan wrote:

> At 5:37 PM -0500 7/14/97, Dave Huang wrote:
> >On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Armen Babikyan wrote:
> >> anyway, I get a "Couldn't open /dev/grf2."
> >> /dev/MAKEDEV /dev/grf2 resulted in "/dev/grf2: unknown device". Would this
> >> mean it's time for a kernel upgrade?
> >
> >Try "cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV grf2" and see if that helps. The X server I'm
> >running only wants grf0 and grf1 around, but I vaguely remember an older X
> >server wanting grf2 and perhaps grf3 also? Or maybe I'm the one with the
> >older X server :) In any case, use the above to make grf2 and see what
> >happens :)
>
> This did the trick. Why does this work? something for me to figure out :-)
> btw, where can I find a list of changes between the March95 xserver and the
> january96 one?  If there is none, what are the improvements?
>   - a
>
> ----- Armen Babikyan - armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu - http://electron.xeo.net ------
>                       ----<insert lame quote here>----

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |