Subject: Re: X problems - redirecting stderr
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/14/1997 19:47:43
At 5:37 PM -0500 7/14/97, Dave Huang wrote:
>On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Armen Babikyan wrote:
>> anyway, I get a "Couldn't open /dev/grf2."
>> /dev/MAKEDEV /dev/grf2 resulted in "/dev/grf2: unknown device". Would this
>> mean it's time for a kernel upgrade?
>
>Try "cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV grf2" and see if that helps. The X server I'm
>running only wants grf0 and grf1 around, but I vaguely remember an older X
>server wanting grf2 and perhaps grf3 also? Or maybe I'm the one with the
>older X server :) In any case, use the above to make grf2 and see what
>happens :)

This did the trick. Why does this work? something for me to figure out :-)
btw, where can I find a list of changes between the March95 xserver and the
january96 one?  If there is none, what are the improvements?
  - a

----- Armen Babikyan - armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu - http://electron.xeo.net ------
                      ----<insert lame quote here>----