Subject: Re: X problems - redirecting stderr
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/14/1997 18:19:18
At 11:10 AM -0700 7/14/97, Bill Studenmund wrote:

>> >Why don't you redirect the error messages into a file?  This isn't
>> >MacOS or DOS (the braindead DOS command.com can't redirect stderr)...
>> >

>> hmm, how would I redirect the error messages into a file?
>
>In csh & tcsh (which you said you were using), you can redirect both
>stdout & stderr by sticking an ampersand after the redirect symbol, like
>
>xinit >& some file
>-or-
>some_command |& tee a file | more

yeah, I know how to use >  and |, but I hadn't heard the term "redirect"
associated with it for awhile, I usually call both terms piping, even
though one is and one isn't. :-P
The redirect mentioned above sounded like some verbose feature of Xmacbsd
or something, I dunno. My misinterpretation. :\
anyway, I get a "Couldn't open /dev/grf2."
/dev/MAKEDEV /dev/grf2 resulted in "/dev/grf2: unknown device". Would this
mean it's time for a kernel upgrade?
  - a