Subject: Re: IntVid, GENERIC, and general organization
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/14/1997 14:35:42
Is anyone who is working on the Mac 68K port of NetBSD doing daily builds
of -current?

I've been doing this on a SPARC LX for months, and on a Sun 3/60 for about
a month, and it's been quite useful in finding the problems in the source
tree. I recommend that one or more people in the Mac 68K community do this
also; just take that old IIci or Quadra 700 that's gathering dust in the
corner, install NetBSD on it, set up a cron script to do the sup & build,
and then report the errors you find.

The more people we have testing the system on each different model of
Macintosh (an unfortunate consequence of Apple's engineering processes),
the quicker we'll find the problems, and the more stable and supported
NetBSD on Mac 68K will be. I rather doubt that our beleaguered port-master
has one of every Macintosh model in his house or office to test on (and
even if so, there are more models than there are hours in the day...).

Pitch in! This is a volunteer effort, after all.

Anyone who wants my csh script for doing daily builds, let me know.

	Erik Fair <fair@clock.org>

P.S.	For those of you who have PowerPC machines also, I commend
http://rc5.distributed.net/ to your attention. It's one in a series of uses
that your machine's idle CPU cycles can be put to. There are others
described in http://www.mersenne.org/ (I think this is really cool stuff -
part of what the Internet was built for in the first place).