Subject: Re: newbie question
To: None <kevinpd@ix.netcom.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/14/1997 06:12:30
On Mon, 14 Jul 97 00:14:51 -0700,
Kevin Drennan <kevinpd@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> I am trying to see if I can get  NetBSD to run on my quadra 630. I've
> downloaded booter 1.9.8 and several generic kernals. I've place the boot
> utility and the kernal in the same folder, select kernal location: MacOS,
> type in the name of the kernal and select boot now as detailed in the
> FAQ. I keep getting the boot error message: "kernal is not in a format
> the booter can understand." I've probably overlooked something basic. Can
> somebody point me in the right direction.

The GENERIC* files you downloaded are gzipped tar files.  You can use
Suntar and MacGzip to extract the raw kernel file.  Be sure to
uncompress the file in *binary* mode when using MacGzip.

Alternatively, if you have a NetBSD partition, you can "install" any
one of them into your NetBSD partition with the Installer, just like
the other files (base*, etc*, comp*, and so on).

As for the Quadra 630, it should be fine as long as the CPU is a full
68040 instead of a crippled 68LC040.  However, there are things that
aren't supported yet (e.g. its internal IDE drive).

Ken