Subject: current troubles
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Taras Ivanenko <ivanenko@ctpa03.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/13/1997 20:57:09
I *carefully* upgraded my system to -current as of July 10 and got
some strange behaviour.

First, an old bash does not seem to work, it dumps core after the
first prompt. (It was my default shell, you can guess the results).

I have changes the shell and tried to run X (mono, from 1.2
release). On the first try, I forgot to switch to 1-bit mode and got
kernel memory fault. I did not write down the trace, I am sure it is
repeatable but dangerous to my file system. On the second try, I
switched to 1-bit mode and X server died with 'Illegal instruction'
after clearing the screen and displaying the line with
addresses. There was no core. Then, I tried to run X inside gdb (maybe
not a very good idea). Nothing happened and I had to press NMI
button. I saw that the process was stuck in tsleep(). When I tried
again (after rebooting), I got 'ffs_inactive: locked inode' panic with
a trace:

trap(0, 749, ...)
postsig(a)                 <- SIGBUS
sigexit(6c49c00,a,...)
exit1
fdfree
closef
vn_closefile
vn_close
vrele
ufs_inactive
panic

On boot I also saw the suspicious messages
grf_mv: Macintosh Display Card ( <- correct )
(...) Unknown card ID 0x19 : Interrupt handler not installed
ite0 at grf0 not configured (Why???)

The correct (ROM) handler for my card is
*(ulong *)(slot_base+0x200148) = 1,
maybe one byte is sufficient. I can send a patch when I will revert my
system to old state.

	Taras Ivanenko.