Subject: Re: X problems.
To: None <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/13/1997 20:27:46
At 7:37 PM -0400 7/13/97, Ken Nakata wrote:
>On Sun, 13 Jul 1997 15:59:48 -0400,
>Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu> wrote:
>[except from FAQ deleted]
>> okay, i did this, but the up and down arrow keys do not work, until I
>> get a prompt in X and type "xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc". My question is, why
>> wasn't .xinitrc read/executed/whatever? I am using tcsh, by the way,
>> would that make a difference? <<shrug>
>
>I don't think so.  It should work.  Something may be wrong with your
>set-up.  If xinit doesn't seem to be doing what you think you told it
>to do, then it's probably because .xinitrc isn't where it's supposed
>to be, or xmodmap line has a syntax error or something.
>
>I just checked the xbase12 file to see what commands are in the
>default xinitrc file, and it looks like it feeds ~/.Xmodmap instead of
>.xmodmaprc to xmodmap if it finds the file.  So, if you've really
>failed to set up .xinitrc file properly, xinit must be reading the
>dafault xinitrc thus renaming .xmodmaprc to .Xmodmap should work.

uhh, whoops. I think I may not be running X properly. I just run an alias
to something to the effect of this command line:
   'X &; sleep 10; xterm -display :0.0 &; sleep 10; xterm -display :0.1
&;sleep 15; twm -display :0.0 &'
now that i just man'ned xinit, i'm going to see if i can mess around with
that to work properly.

>> Also, I have an apple keyboard II, where the option key and the arrow
>> keys are pretty far away from each other, to the point of almost
>> needing two hands.  How can I change this setting? Unless the command
>> key is used in X for something else, I'd like to use command-R for
>> middle button, and command-T for right button.
>
>X does not impose any kind of policy in how applications may want to
>use key combinations.  Command key, I think, is treated as a Meta key
>by default, and some applications (such as Emacs) use Meta.
>
>And to make things even worse, the Option-arrow combination is
>hard-coded in the kernel.  You must modify the driver to change it.

doh. I might as well get a three button mouse. how much do those go for?

>> i looked up some stuff
>> in the man pages, but i figured i needed "xev" to do this, and this did
>
>I don't think you correctly understand the man pages, whatever they
>are...  Xev is a tool to display X events as they occur and are posted
>to an X client.  It's not useful when changing system settings.
>However, it may be useful to see what key events occur when you type a
>particular key.
>
>> not come with the standard distribution, and i didn't have any luck
>> finding it on NetBSD/Amiga.
>
>I'd rather get a 3-button mouce.  Supported 3-button mice are
>MicroSpeed, A-3 Mouse, and *some* of Logitech MouseMan and TrackMan.
>I myself have a TrackMan which works quite nicely.
>
>> This is also nit-picking, but are there any copy-cut-paste commands in
>> X? i remember dt having them, and they were fairly useful.
>
>I suggest you get an X book, maybe something like volume 3 of
>O'Reilly's big X series.

hmm, I got an old X book that talks about X11R5. I'll try reading up some
more before i do any more stupid things.  It's called "X, A Guide For
Users", by Jerry D. Smith. ever heard of it?

>> I am using the March95 xserver, and figured i should upgrade to
>> possibly alleviate some of the problems mentioned above. I downloaded
>> both the 960127 and the 950912 xservers, but had problems getting them
>> to run. The error messages scrolled by so fast, I couldn't read them.
>> Any idea what these messages could have been? I think I saw one being
>> about a device not configured.
>
>Why don't you redirect the error messages into a file?  This isn't
>MacOS or DOS (the braindead DOS command.com can't redirect stderr)...

hmm, how would I redirect the error messages into a file?

>> Would this have anything to do with me running NetBSD 1.2 GENERIC#1
>> kernel?
>
>On which machine?

I have a Mac IIvx

>Ken