Subject: Re: interrupts, was new serial driver
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/13/1997 14:46:17
On Sun, 13 Jul 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> Is there some way we can squeze the splsoft*'s between spl1 and spl0?
> Maybe multiply all the hardware interrupt levels by 2 and add level 1
> between 2 (hardware int 1) and 0 (hardwware int level 0). I heard an
> off-hand comment somewhere that vaxen used to do something like this,
> but I'm not sure... ??

I don't think VAXen ever did this, but they did have 32 interrupt levels,
16 of which were reserved for software use (0-15) and 16 for hardware's
use (16-31).  Hardware devices never interrupted at the lower levels, but
the VAX did provide a way to request a software interupt at a specified
IPL;  it also enforced the rule that interrupts always increased IPL while
interrupt exits always decreased it.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |