Subject: Re: newbie...
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/13/1997 16:04:35
On Sun, 13 Jul 1997, Ken Nakata wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jul 1997 12:48:31 +0200,
> Simon Wagner <swagner@studi.unizh.ch> wrote:
> > just got hold of openbsd2.1, which supports my powerbook 170.
>
> Um, this is the NetBSD/mac68k mailing list, not the OpenBSD one.
>
> While I'd like to help you, you should probably send a same message to
> OpenBSD.ORG.
>
> However, if OpenBSD/mac68k's machine dependent part is identical to
> that of NetBSD/mac68k as I've been told, then you have to tweak
> keyboard mapping table in the kernel source and recompile one
> yourself.

As another possibility, I assume that OpenBSD's breakoff came after
NetBSD's support for grf devices and that they haven't diverged much in
terms of /dev/grf# and /dev/adb, so you might try dt.  That'll give you a
few "virtual consoles", in a sense, and there are various keyboard
mappings available, though I don't know which ones.  You might still have
to write a mapping table for it or something.  And of course, you'll have
to quit dt before running X, since they both take over your monitor and
adb.

> > and.. is there slip support in the kernel for the serial ports? this
> > way I could hang it off some linux box and make it part of the 'net at
> > home.. which would be WAY more fun than having just unix on this
> > machine :)) which is in itself not that much useful :))

I can't say for sure about SLIP, though there probably is, either that or
PPP, which is really probably a better protocol to use, because of the
internal error checking and all.

> > how can I tune the comp21.tar.gz archive, so that I only get a c
> > compiler... I don't need c++ or fortran.. I guess I'd save at least
> > 50% off the extracted size... which would be very nice...
> > what can I shave off? I can untar it on some other unix box, then
> > delete the stuff, and then tar it back together... instructions?

Probably you could delete things like libg++, as well as the g++ directory
in /usr/include, and the cc1plus program from deep within the gcc-lib
directory, which probably resides in /usr/lib.  (I only have access to a
MkLinux box, so these paths may be slightly off.)  As always, don't quote
me on the above, and please correct me if I'm wrong.  I doubt any standard
C programs will have trouble without these, but one never knows.  And I'm
not entirely sure the space saved would be worth the effort, considering
how much of the compiler is shared between c and c++ (and pascal and so
on.)  I don't know anything about fortran... is that really part of the
standard install?  (I don't see it here under MkLinux, but it might be
under NetBSD).

> and... would there be a possibility to talk to that modem??? dial-up'ing
> would be cool :)) good way to impress friends :))

You mean to use an internal modem?  Probably a matter of writing drivers
to talk to that slot, unless the hardware remaps it to one of the ports at
a pretty low level.  Dunno.

Good luck,
David