Subject: How to read Option key on Ext keyboard with xmodmap?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: era eriksson <era@iki.fi>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/13/1997 21:53:34
I just downloaded the "official" NetBSD-1.2 X package and started
playing around with it. I'll probably be trying the color stuff one of
these days, but first, I need to get my keyboard working.
  I managed to find and sort-of compile xev and make a nice Swedish
xmodmap. Unfortunately, the Option key doesn't give any echo at all
with xev. Is there something I can modify somewhere to make it come up
as a regular key? I can't say I really understand xmodmap, I've always
just copied other folks' files and adjusted to fit.
  I have started out with Hauke's German xmodmaprc which doesn't work
at all with the newer kernel/X as somebody already noted. The stuff
near the end, where the modifier keys are being set, reset, and
swapped around, is the part that I don't think I understand anything
of.
  Other than that, I have a working xev and a nice base xmodmap which
I'll submit if there's any demand. I'd just like to get the Option
stuff working first if that's at all possible.

As usual, I wouldn't expect people to do too much of my homework for
me, but if anybody really in the know could confirm/deny the
possibility that the Option key is dead for all practical purposes,
that would be nice.

The "bonus" part would be an explanation of what these really mean:

    clear Shift
    clear Lock
    clear Control
    clear Mod1
    clear Mod2
    clear Mod3
    clear Mod4
    clear Mod5

    add Shift = Shift_L
    add Lock = Caps_Lock
    add Control = Control_L
    add Mod1 = Mode_switch
    add Mod2 = Meta_L

I changed these around a little bit in the file I have at home; this
is out of Hauke's original German xmodmap.

Why do you have to "clear" some keys before setting them again?
  ... Any chance of getting the right shift key etc to say Shift_R?

Thanks in advance,

/* era */

--
Defin-i-t-e-ly. Sep-a-r-a-te. Gram-m-a-r.  <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>