Subject: newbie...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon Wagner <swagner@studi.unizh.ch>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/13/1997 12:48:31
hello netizens...

first about myself:
just got hold of openbsd2.1, which supports my powerbook 170.
I have a unix background, a small net here at home with various flavours
of *nix, so the usual unix problems should be solvable..

I just booted my machine, looks fairly cool to me...
the system is a powerbook170 8/80 with an internal modem

though I ran into two problems:

keyboard mapping.. I have the american keyboard
mapping, but a swissgerman keyboard.. but that's not that much of a
problem, as I know the american board quite well by heart...
I tried loading the keyboard controlpanel before booting bsd, and
setting the keyboard from there.. under macos it was right, but bsd
hung...
is there any way to change the mapping? perhaps from inside openbsd?

backlighting... it's not on.. and the screen's VERY hard to read..
as soon openbsd boots, the lighting is turned off...

and.. is there slip support in the kernel for the serial ports? this way
I could hang it off some linux box and make it part of the 'net at
home.. which would be WAY more fun than having just unix on this machine
:)) which is in itself not that much useful :))

how can I tune the comp21.tar.gz archive, so that I only get a c
compiler... I don't need c++ or fortran.. I guess I'd save at least 50%
off the extracted size... which would be very nice...
what can I shave off? I can untar it on some other unix box, then delete
the stuff, and then tar it back together... instructions?

and... would there be a possibility to talk to that modem??? dial-up'ing
would be cool :)) good way to impress friends :))

cu
simon