Subject: Re: Mac IIsi
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: tcjam <tcjam@voicenet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/12/1997 21:48:36
All the suggestions below look good to me but I'm still partial to DasBoot
(an extension that replaces the booter) you can find a link on the macbsd
page (http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd) I've used this for at least as long as
NetBSD has been working on my machine. One thing that might be a draw back
though is that you currently need a copy of the booter, prefs, and
resedit. All things considered, you could probably get away with a 2-3 meg
mac partition and have everything you need.

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Ken Nakata wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jul 1997 18:21:48 +0900 (JST),
> Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net> wrote:
> > A while back, Colin posted instructions on how to make a NetBSD/mac68k
> > boot floppy.
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> Actually, I don't think this is what Sean was asking for.
>
> > On Fri, 11 Jul 1997, Sean Figgins wrote:
> > > I've been able to install the NetBSD operating system on this beast, but
> > > I'm having trouble getting it to boot into NetBSD as default.  It won't
> > > recognize the partition as bootable, OR it keeps looking for something
> > > that isn't there.  I followed install instructions, but didn't see how to
> > > get this thing to boot, other than boot MacOS first.  There must be a
> > > way, as I don't have a large enough hard disk to keep both OSs.
>
> Sean:
>
> You need to boot MacOS before booting NetBSD.  This has been a
> requiremnt since the day one, I believe.  However, you can automate
> the booting process so that anytime you power your Mac on, NetBSD will
> automatically start.
>
> To do so, you can just make Booter a start-up item, and turn on the
> Booter option "autoboot" (or was it "automatic boot"?), and select
> the inteval in seconds between Booter launch and NetBSD boot.
>
> There have been talks regarding native bootstrapping of NetBSD on Macs,
> but there doesn't seem much progress.  So, basically, the above is
> as close as you can get to the real native bootstrapping.
>
> You can eliminate MacOS partition in your hard disk by making a
> minimal boot floppy disk (that's what Mark was talking about).  The
> how-to is found at ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/docs/notes/, and
> the file name is bootfloppy-HOWTO.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Ken

                                 \||||/
                                  o  o
|| "Please explain the scientific nature         |  tcjam@voicenet.com ||
||   of the whammy." -Scully                     ______________________||
|| "Foolproof systems don't take into account,                         ||
||  the ingenuity of fools" -Unknown 			               ||
||   PGP key can be obtained from:                                     ||
||      http://www.voicenet.com/~tcjam/home/keys.html                  ||