Subject: Re: Mac IIsi
To: None <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/12/1997 08:24:14
On Sat, 12 Jul 1997 18:21:48 +0900 (JST),
Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net> wrote:
> A while back, Colin posted instructions on how to make a NetBSD/mac68k
> boot floppy.

Hi Mark,

Actually, I don't think this is what Sean was asking for.

> On Fri, 11 Jul 1997, Sean Figgins wrote:
> > I've been able to install the NetBSD operating system on this beast, but
> > I'm having trouble getting it to boot into NetBSD as default.  It won't
> > recognize the partition as bootable, OR it keeps looking for something
> > that isn't there.  I followed install instructions, but didn't see how to
> > get this thing to boot, other than boot MacOS first.  There must be a
> > way, as I don't have a large enough hard disk to keep both OSs.

Sean:

You need to boot MacOS before booting NetBSD.  This has been a
requiremnt since the day one, I believe.  However, you can automate
the booting process so that anytime you power your Mac on, NetBSD will
automatically start.

To do so, you can just make Booter a start-up item, and turn on the
Booter option "autoboot" (or was it "automatic boot"?), and select
the inteval in seconds between Booter launch and NetBSD boot.

There have been talks regarding native bootstrapping of NetBSD on Macs,
but there doesn't seem much progress.  So, basically, the above is
as close as you can get to the real native bootstrapping.

You can eliminate MacOS partition in your hard disk by making a
minimal boot floppy disk (that's what Mark was talking about).  The
how-to is found at ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/docs/notes/, and
the file name is bootfloppy-HOWTO.

Hope this helps,

Ken