Subject: Re: IntVid, GENERIC, and general organization
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/11/1997 00:39:06
[I've responded more specifically in private, but there are a few comments
that deserve a public acknowledgement.]

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997 ADAMGOOD@delphi.com wrote:

> So many people are putting so much hard work into this.  It's a real
> shame that it seems so disorganized.

There's very little out there that I'm aware of that hasn't been
integrated into the tree, at this point.

 - We still don't have a particularly satisfactory solution for SE/30
   video;
 - Bill S.'s zs changes are under review by someone else; and
 - Michael Z.'s intvid changes are a little thorny to integrate properly.
   (At least, at the moment.)

If there are any other projects that people are aware of, please drop me a
line!  To be brutally honest, I find it nigh impossible to keep up with
port-mac68k; have you stopped to look at how many messages are generated
on this list in a week?! (note:  I'm not complaining, but... it's a
_lot!_)  I've had to be selective in what I read, and how often, because
otherwise I'd get little else done.

Now, so that everyone else is aware, the project that I'm currently
working on is to make AV Quadras[*], and hopefully all 040-based systems,
start up properly regardless of how memory is configured.  This is also a
problem with any 040-based accelerator card in a IIsi/IIci-style system,
which has an interesting physical memory layout.

[*] AV Quadras require a special kernel compiled with a hack that's
incompatible with other 040-based systems.  It's silly, and it desperately
needs fixing.

> In any case, Scott Reynolds, could you please incorporate Michael
> Zucca's work into the -current source tree?

I will not make any promises, but I will try to work something out in
the next few weeks.

Meanwhile, if anybody has any clues as to why there are any video-related
problems with PowerBooks, please let me know directly.

--scott