Subject: IntVid, GENERIC, and general organization
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/10/1997 09:08:48
Hi All,

I just wasted my whole night trying to put together the pieces I thought
I'd need to compile a kernel for my PB160.

First I went and got Takashi's PowerManager patches.  At his Web site
he tells you that these patches require JPW's HWDIRECT patches (circa
HWDIRECT.164).

So I tried to hunt those down.  Unfortunately, they're no where to be
found.  John's Web page does tell us that we don't need his patches
anymore because all of his code is now a part of the official source
tree and we can get it all by just supping -current.

Which then brings me to the next problem.  I CAN'T sup current.  Or
rather, I could, but it wouldn't work.  I know this because the
GENERIC kernels don't work properly on Power Books.  I tried the
latest one and it hangs immediately.  Michael Zucca has writen to
list because none of his changes are being checked into the source
tree as he submits them.

So now what?

Actually, I don't know if any of this woul've worked even if I
had found the HWDIRECT.164 patches, but that brings me to my general
concern with organization.

So many people are putting so much hard work into this.  It's a real
shame that it seems so disorganized.  I'd like to help, but I can't
even compile a kernel that works on my machine.  Is there any way
that everyone's work could be centralized (like on ftp.macbsd.com),
and all info on different projects be put together under the Web or
FAQ pages?

In any case, Scott Reynolds, could you please incorporate Michael
Zucca's work into the -current source tree?

I really care a lot about this project.  It's hard not to be frustrated
when all the hard work to get your machine running has already been
done, and all the pieces are right there and there's nothing you can
do to put things together and make them work.

Sorry if I'm complaining too much.

-Adam