Subject: Re: NFS, kerberos
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aaron F Godfrey <fgodfrey+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/09/1997 21:55:33
	The CMU realm does indeed require AFS kerberos, a fact which I
discovered after several hours messing with NetBSD's built in kerberos
stuff.  I ended up just grabbing the CMU kerberos distribution (which
borders on impossible to compile...) from
/afs/andrew.cmu.edu/system/src/local/kerberos.  It works now on
NetBSD/i386.  I haven't tried it on /mac68k but I see no reason why it
wouldn't also work.
	The telnet works also, but for some reason, it doesn't auto log you in
without a password.  Ie, if I'm on a netbsd box and do "telnet -a
sun4.andrew.cmu.edu" it puts in my username (ag5c) after encrypting the
session but then I get asked for my password anyway.  Not sure why that
is...  However, it does encrypt...  Inbound, the telnetd takes the
forwarded user ID and "password" but then doesn't get kerberos tickets
for me so I have to re-kinit...  Also, for inbound encrypted telnet to
work, you need a kerberos instance - at CMU, you need to mail
"advisor+@andrew" to get one...
	As for AFS, there are no binaries for NetBSD/mac68k.  When I asked, I
was told that there was some problem with the way NetBSD/mac68k handled
interupts.  I tried binaries for /m68k4k and m68k8k with no results (it
was missing kernel symbols).  The binaries are VERY version dependant.
I was thinking about porting it myself but was told that CMU does not
have a source code license to AFS, which is REALLY odd since we
developed it...  Anyway, if you DO get AFS/mac68k working I'd be really
interested in hearing how :)

								-- Forest
|  Forest Godfrey                              fgodfrey+@cmu.edu|
|  Penguins in '98!                       fgodfrey@nyx.cs.du.edu|
|  Go Badgers!               Internet: Use it.  Don't abuse it! |
|  Vote Democrat!     Your share of the national debt>$19,880   |
|         Save the planet!  We don't have a backup copy         |