Subject: Re: Problem with PPP & fsck
To: Andy Sinesio <andy@imaginet.com>
From: Steven N. Hirsch <shirsch@ibm.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/09/1997 18:49:11
On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Andy Sinesio wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> Whenever I boot into NetBSD, it works fine until it says "starting file
> system checks" then brings up this error: "Usage: fsck [ something ] [
> something else] filesystem". Then it says "Unknown error; help!" and
> drops me into single-user mode. I run "fsck" on the disk, then type
> "exit" to get into multi-user. Everything works after this point, but I
> have to do this every time I boot.

I noticed this when I upgraded my base installation and kernel to an
early-June snapshot.  Haven't had a chance to grab the source and have a
look yet, but fsck_ffs appears to have lost its ability to automagically
check all the filesystems listed in /etc/fstab!

For a quicky workaround, change the section of /etc/rc (or is it rc.init?)
where fsck is kicked off.  You can invoke it directly on the pertinent
filesystems:

	fsck <args>

	fsck /dev/sd1c
	fsck /dev/sd2a
	etc, etc.

This is really an ugly way to do it, so remember that you must change
things in _two_ places when editing either /etc/rc or /etc/fstab at some
point down the road..

Steve