Subject: Trouble with kernel compile
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Greanya <greanya@cps.msu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/09/1997 13:20:01
Hey all,

I need to recompile the kernel to get ipfilter to work (yep, I'm one of
the ones who'd like to run a small network over a dynamic ppp ip).

Recently, I updated my system to the 1.2.1 release and grabbed the current
kernel source from netbsd.org.  I've placed the source in /usr/src/sys/...

I've copied and modified a system config based on the GENERIC
configuration,
my problem is the config program doesn't understand the "defopt" keyword
used in at least two of the config files; it quits with a syntax error.
I've tried various things like changing defopt to define or options, etc,
or commenting certain ones out because of redundancy.

Also, the path for config seems to be screwed up.  The config files seem
to assume that I'll be running things from the sys directory, as all
of the pathways begin in relation to there, but config assumes the
arch/mac68k/conf directory which the readme recommends (now the readme is
3 years old, so this might've changed).

So a couple of questions:

Am I running the wrong version of config?  I checked some of the older
CHANGES files and "defopt" seems to be a pretty old keyword, so I figured
that the 1.2.1 install would handle it.

Should I place the kernel sources in another directory?  I'm not sure
what's
causing the directory problems.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason S. Greanya,
Mac Systems Manager, Intelligent Systems Lab, Michigan State University
greanya@cps.msu.edu                     http://web.cps.msu.edu/~greanya
 "Be glad that life is unfair, otherwise we'd deserve all this crap."