Subject: RE: Hard drive formatting problem (cont.)
To: macbsd , <cruller@unicom.net>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@CompuServe.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/08/1997 17:59:00
Gerald,

>I just had the same problem on a quantum I was sure was fried. Then for
>S&Gs I tried to format it with an old CMS SCSI Tool. It worked great!
>All the other formatters I tried gave me the "drive needs a low level
>format", or "invalid partition map"  I was surprised these utlities
>wouldn't just write a new partition map.  Any way on the quantum web
>site they tell you only the factory can do a low level format, so I
>don't know if the CMS SCSI Tool really did one or not.  WWW.quantum.com
>also has descriptions of those cryptic jumper lables e.g.: (SS = Self
>Seek; EP = Enable parity; etc)

Uh...you wouldn't still have a copy of that CMS SCSI Tools around would
you?  "Drive needs a low-level format" is exactly what I am getting.
Silverlining Lite's Info function also informs me that:

Total sectors = 1
Bytes per sector = 512
Cylinders (tracks) = 0
Heads (platters) = 0
Sectors = 0

I have the Quantum diagrams, and a look at the jumpers is tomorrow's
project.

Regards,

Sean.

T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com

"...determines to remain seized of the matter."