Subject: Re: System hangs?
To: None <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/08/1997 13:58:28
On Tue, 8 Jul 1997 09:37:47 -0700 (PDT),
wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu (Bill Studenmund) wrote:

> > On Tue, 8 Jul 1997 06:55:13 -0400 (EDT),
> > "Steven N. Hirsch" <shirsch@ibm.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, all I know is that it would not boot BSD until I opened the object
> > > called "Monitors" in Control Panel and clicked the radio button from
> > > Greyscale to Color - followed by a restart.  I stand by my comments; this
> > > is not intuitive on a machine which doesn't alter the visuals one iota as
> > > a result...
> >
> > Ah, ok, I got it.  So you are saying it should have been "1-bit
> > Grayscale or Color mode" instead of "1-bit Color", right?  To me,
> > it kinda sounds picky, but I'm not against a clearer description.
>
> I bet the problem is more that something wasn't initialized right, and that
> makigna change (any change) with the Monitors CP got the variable, whatever
> it is, set up right.

Wait, I'm a little confused.  I've never bother to change anything in
Monitor CP on my SE/30, except when I had a Micron XCEED SE/30 in the
PDS slot.  So, I'm assuming it doesn't matter to Booter whether the
internal video is set in 1-bit Grayscale mode or in 1-bit Color mode.

Steven's remark "it would not boot BSD until I opened the object
called "Monitors" in Control Panel and clicked the radio button from
Greyscale to Color - followed by a restart" isn't really true.  At
least, it never happened to me (right now I'm 6,000 some miles away
from my SE/30, so I can't test it with newer Booters).

Is it not the case any more?

Ken