Subject: Re: System hangs?
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Steven N. Hirsch <shirsch@ibm.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/08/1997 06:55:13
On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Ken Nakata wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jul 1997 22:43:00 -0400 (EDT),
> "Steven N. Hirsch" <shirsch@ibm.net> wrote:
> >
> > I went through this exact same exercise last week while installing BSD on
> > my SE/30.  My problem was that I kept seeing the warning about "1-bit
> > Color" setting and ignoring it because my SE/30 has a monochrome display!
> >
> > I figured (as perhaps others have) that it didn't apply to B&W macs.  May
> > I respectfully suggest that this be worded a bit more directly?
>
> I don't understand what you're saying.  Since B&W Macs always run in
> 1-bit mode, you shouldn't have any problem in that area.  What's your
> problem?

Well, all I know is that it would not boot BSD until I opened the object
called "Monitors" in Control Panel and clicked the radio button from
Greyscale to Color - followed by a restart.  I stand by my comments; this
is not intuitive on a machine which doesn't alter the visuals one iota as
a result...

> > Also, I never saw a thing about turning off virtual memory - that proved
> > to be necessary in my case as well.
>
> Never saw a thing?  Well, I just checked INSTALL file in 1.2.1
> distribution and as a matter of fact, it doesn't say anything about
> any MacOS extension (hello!).

> But these things are covered by the FAQ
> at http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/.  I think it might help
> if Booter complained when VM is turned on.

Agreed.  And, not being a Mac hacker, the word "extension" does not
necessarily imply VM and/or networking to me.  Coming from the RISC/Unix
world, these are simply OS features.  The secret to clear technical
documentation lies in making the fewest assumptions possible; i.e.
fleshing out the phrase about deactivating extensions with "..such as VM,
Appletalk, etc.." would go a long way towards clarification.

Steve