Subject: Re: Lost target files until reboot
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: brian wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/07/1997 22:46:23
Hi everyone!

Bug squash report for a Q700: fixed loosing targert files until reboot.
The problem was the IBM KZ-C drive and kernel communicating to each
other.

It was suggested to me to recompile a kernel which was the way to go,
but not using the buggy system kernel...

> > > The problem you're seeing is similar to something I experienced
> > > about a year ago. Some scsi drives don't handle residual data
> > > pointers correctly (I don't fully understand the problem, just
> > > know of a potential fix). On my drive, I would create a file
> > > on the drive and the partition would no longer be accessable like
> > > you describe. The solution was to add an entry into the quirk
> > > table to force the "SDEV_AUTOSAVE" then build a new kernel with
> > > the change.
> > >
> > > Here's an example entry in src/sys/scsi/scsiconf.c:
> > >
> > >         {{T_DIRECT, T_FIXED,
> > >          "DEC     ", "RZ55     (C) DEC", ""},     SDEV_AUTOSAVE},

the patch

David Huang was kind enough to compile the needed patch!

On Fri, 4 Jul 1997 23:08:24 -0500 Dave Huang at khym@bga.com, wrote...
> Here's a kernel for you to try out... it's based on GENERIC, but with
> SDEV_AUTOSAVE turned on for your IBM KZ-C drive, and SDEV_NOLUNS for
> your MEDAVIS cdrom. I also turned on SCSIDEBUG, so it'll print a
> couple of extra messages about your SCSI devices.

Thanks for everyones' suggestions!

brian w.
bwildasi@csulb.edu