Subject: Re: System hangs?
To: None <shirsch@ibm.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/07/1997 23:26:11
On Mon, 7 Jul 1997 22:43:00 -0400 (EDT),
"Steven N. Hirsch" <shirsch@ibm.net> wrote:

> I went through this exact same exercise last week while installing BSD on
> my SE/30.  My problem was that I kept seeing the warning about "1-bit
> Color" setting and ignoring it because my SE/30 has a monochrome display!
>
> I figured (as perhaps others have) that it didn't apply to B&W macs.  May
> I respectfully suggest that this be worded a bit more directly?

I don't understand what you're saying.  Since B&W Macs always run in
1-bit mode, you shouldn't have any problem in that area.  What's your
problem?

> Also, I never saw a thing about turning off virtual memory - that proved
> to be necessary in my case as well.

Never saw a thing?  Well, I just checked INSTALL file in 1.2.1
distribution and as a matter of fact, it doesn't say anything about
any MacOS extension (hello!).  But these things are covered by the FAQ
at http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/.  I think it might help
if Booter complained when VM is turned on.

Ken