Subject: Re: System hangs?
From: Steven N. Hirsch <shirsch@ibm.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/07/1997 22:43:00
On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, synapse wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Gobau Ives wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have installed the NetBSD 1.2.1 package on my Mac, but after running the
> > boot application, the cursor freezes, and it looks like the Mac hangs...
> >

> > This is what the log file says:
> >
> > Logging to bootlog
> > Booting...MID_M68K executable: entry 0x3356.
> > 770544+57724+99004+45732+48403
> >   Bye-bye...
> >         So I sez to him...  The real way
> >         that it should be done is to...
> >

> > After this mesage appears on screen, my Mac appears to prepare itself for
> > shutdown, and then the cursor freezes and nothing happens anymore.
> >

> > My hardware:
> > Mac IIvx, 20MB ram, 2GB & 80MB harddisks, 1000's of colors, 2x CD rom.
>                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> there might be your problem. switch to black and white or 8-bit color
> (256)

All:

I went through this exact same exercise last week while installing BSD on
my SE/30.  My problem was that I kept seeing the warning about "1-bit
Color" setting and ignoring it because my SE/30 has a monochrome display!

I figured (as perhaps others have) that it didn't apply to B&W macs.  May
I respectfully suggest that this be worded a bit more directly?

Also, I never saw a thing about turning off virtual memory - that proved
to be necessary in my case as well.

On an unrelated subject:

Amd has definite problems with Linux NFS mounts, as the latter will not
accept connections to mountd from non-priviliged ports.  This was patched
around several years back in the Linux/debian variant of amd.  I'm at work
merging the appropriate patches into the current NetBSD amd sources.

More as the story unfolds..

Steve