Subject: Re: Hard drive formatting problem
To: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@CompuServe.COM>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/07/1997 08:53:44
Hi Sean,

Just a thought. Have you tried using the hard disk in question in a
different case?  Try taking one of your internal drives that works and put
it in the external case you are using.  Likewise, try putting the
questionable drive and run it as an internal drive.  See if it makes a
difference.  It could be that there is something funky with the external
case and not the drive.

I have both APS and Silverlining for HD formatting.  I like Silverlining,
although my copy is rather old.  But it still works.  So I can make a
similar offer.  If you would like to try a copy, I can provide one and if
it works for you can you talk to the good folks at La Cie about getting a
legal copy.

Mark

On 6 Jul 1997, T. Sean (Theo) Schulze wrote:

> On the PPC 8500/120 the drive is attached to the external SCSI bus and
> was daisy chained with a Syquest EZ135.  I put it at both the end of the
> chain and the beginning, and also tried it without the EZ135 attached.
> On the IIci it was on a chain with an Apple CDROM drive.  I think that
> was all.  I may have tried it with the EZ135 onthere too, but it's been a
> while.  My most recent efforts have been with the 8500/120.
>
> >Have you tries the APS driver/formatter?
>
> No, I haven't.  Is there a particular reason you ask?  Is it because I
> didn't mention having tried it, or is there some feature to the APS
> formatter that is particularly good?  Is it available commercially?
> (It's mentioned in the FAQ isn't it?  I'll check there to see what it
> says.)
> [Later]  I just checked the FAQ.  APS's formatting utility is mentioned,
> but it is apparently commercial.

Mark Andres   E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
    Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
 http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/