Subject: Re: Hard drive formatting problem
To: None <PORT-MAC68K@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@wavefront.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/06/1997 22:27:00
Sorry about MIME going to the list. BA-

Try this instead. From the FAQ-O-Matic :

<a
http://cobweb.dartmouth.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jonh/faqomatic/sysconfig/disks/faq.pl>FAQ-O-Matic /sysconfig/disks/</a>

<a
http://cobweb.dartmouth.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jonh/faqomatic/sysconfig/disks/faq.pl?question=6> 6. How can I use Apple's free HD SC Setup 7.3.5 to
partition my drive for MkLinux?
</a>

Note that- HD SC will refuse to partition your drive until you do a
low-level format and install the driver.
And you can use pdisk from the MacOS side on your 8500 to view and change
the partition table.  I recomend you use HD SC to do the partitioning.
Then remember that only the devices (two  only ) on each end of the SCSI
chain is to be terminated. The extenal drive should be configured with
termination removed from the drive. Termination is done by the enclosuer or
with external temination.

--------------Here is what  pdisk shows for my system-------------

This app uses the SIOUX console library
Choose 'Quit' from the file menu to quit.

Use MkLinux style disk names (i.e. /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.).

Top level command (? for help): L
/dev/sda
   #:                 type name                length   base    ( size )
   1:  Apple_partition_map Apple                   63 @ 1
   2:       Apple_Driver43 Macintosh               64 @ 64
   3:       Apple_Driver43 Macintosh               64 @ 128
   4:        Apple_Patches Patch Partition        512 @ 192
   5:            Apple_HFS MacOS              1064521 @ 704     (519.8M)
   6:           Apple_Free Extra                   10 @ 1065225

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=1065234
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1: @ 64 for 18, type=0x1
2: @ 128 for 32, type=0xffff

pdisk: can't open file '/dev/sdb'
/dev/sdc
   #:                 type name                length   base    ( size )
   1:  Apple_partition_map Apple                   63 @ 1
   2:       Apple_Driver43 Macintosh               32 @ 64
   3:      Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Root file system    198000 @ 96      ( 96.7M)
   4:      Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Swap                258000 @ 198096  (126.0M)
   5:      Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Usr file system     638544 @ 456096  (311.8M)
   6:      Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Unreserved 1       1011028 @ 1094640 (493.7M)
   7:      Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Unreserved 2       1090887 @ 2105668 (532.7M)
   8:      Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Unreserved 3       1277136 @ 3196555 (623.6M)
   9:      Apple_UNIX_SVR2 A/UX Root          1064315 @ 4473691 (519.7M)
  10:            Apple_HFS MacOS               743850 @ 5538006 (363.2M)

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=6281856
DeviceType=0x1, DeviceId=0x1
Drivers-
1: @ 64 for 19, type=0x1

pdisk: can't open file '/dev/sdd'
pdisk: can't open file '/dev/sde'
pdisk: can't open file '/dev/sdf'
pdisk: can't open file '/dev/sdg'
Top level command (? for help):

     . .  I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape *somewhere*!

Bruce Anderson
Burnsville MN, USA
http://members.aol.com/brucea396/
send Mail mailto:Brucea@wavefront.com