Subject: Re: Hard drive formatting problem
To: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@CompuServe.COM>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/06/1997 17:29:39
>On the PPC 8500/120 the drive is attached to the external SCSI bus and
>was daisy chained with a Syquest EZ135.  I put it at both the end of the
>chain and the beginning, and also tried it without the EZ135 attached.
>On the IIci it was on a chain with an Apple CDROM drive.  I think that
>was all.  I may have tried it with the EZ135 onthere too, but it's been a
>while.  My most recent efforts have been with the 8500/120.

OK, it isn't your SCSI chain, unless you have a bad cable. (The latter is a
real possibility!)
Quantum drives are pretty forgiving about termination, in my experience.

Are you using Mac OS 7.5? (I guess you must, with a 8500, but I have to ask!)

If not, do you have the Rev 4.3 asynchronous SCSI extension?

It shouldn't matter if the drive is formatted for DOS; you should be able
to just ride over it when formatting, but the trouble is that some
formatters double-check things to keep you from doing that unintentionally!
Generally, but not always, there will be a "expert mode" in which you can
override the precautions.

The APS drivers are by CharisMac, and are generally pretty good, but of
course so is the FWB if it is a fairly recent rev.

I'll send you an APS formatter to try; if you like it you can negotiate
with them for a legal copy.

Dan Killoran