Subject: Re: Hard drive formatting problem
To: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@CompuServe.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/06/1997 13:38:00
>>I know termination is an area where problems
>>often crop up, but I am not really sure how to test for those type of
>>problems.  I am close to buying a SCSIVue Active Terminator, because I
>>read somewhere that active terminators often help clear up termination
>>problems.  Is that worth a shot?
>
>First of all, what does your SCSI chain look like? If it is not very
>crowded, you can get along quite well without an active terminator. If, on
>the other hand, you have 7 devs on the chain as I do, an active terminator
>is indispensible!

On the PPC 8500/120 the drive is attached to the external SCSI bus and
was daisy chained with a Syquest EZ135.  I put it at both the end of the
chain and the beginning, and also tried it without the EZ135 attached.
On the IIci it was on a chain with an Apple CDROM drive.  I think that
was all.  I may have tried it with the EZ135 onthere too, but it's been a
while.  My most recent efforts have been with the 8500/120.

>Have you tries the APS driver/formatter?

No, I haven't.  Is there a particular reason you ask?  Is it because I
didn't mention having tried it, or is there some feature to the APS
formatter that is particularly good?  Is it available commercially?
(It's mentioned in the FAQ isn't it?  I'll check there to see what it
says.)
[Later]  I just checked the FAQ.  APS's formatting utility is mentioned,
but it is apparently commercial.

Cheers,

Sean.

T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com
TSSchulze@aol.com

Hope is not a course of action.  (But prayer is a combat multiplier.)