Subject: Problems with booting on MacIIvx
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/06/1997 15:01:42
	Recently there have been some problems reported by IIvx owners.

	I spent about 5 hours yesterday on a friends IIvx with a variety
of booters, trying to get a kernel to boot from an external Magneto-Optical
drive.

	Well, there is definately a problem. I tried a few fairly old kernels
(GENERIC-12 and 24) with Booter 1.9, 1.9.2, both 1.9.5s, 1.9.6, 1.10.0
and 1.10.1, and the only Booter which suceeded was one of the 1.9.5s.

Problem 1: This seems different to the behaviour others reported.
	   The consensus was that older booters (like 1.9) would work,
	   while newer ones (1.9.4/5/6/7, 1.10.0) would not

Problem 2: The later booters I used (1.9.6, 1.10.1) _did_ actually load
	   the kernel, but hanged a short way in (just after the copyright
	   message)

Problem 3: I grabbed a screenshot of the "Extra Debugging Info" of both the
	   working and non-working 1.9.5s. Comparison revealed that the only
	   differences were BOOTTIME and GMTBIAS

	Now, I am at a bit of a loss to know where to go from here. I thought
that the environment variables would reveal the problem, but in my case, the
difference between booting and hanging was not in the env. vars. Does anyone
have any ideas as to what else it might be?

	One thing people could do to help would be to do some more testing
for me. Grab as many Booter programs as you can, and test each one of them
with a kernel which you know boots on your IIvx.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au |"People say I'm strange, does it  |
|  Telstra IN Platforms, Sydney, Aust.  | make me a stranger?              |