Subject: Re: Serial console problems...
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/05/1997 17:27:52

>> Oh... Another thing I'm curious about is if there's a way I can set the
>> default speed on the serial port higher than 9600 baud... I'd like to use
>> the SE/30 more or less like a headless box, but a 9600 baud limit is a bit
>> slow for szing big files back and forth.
>
>The new version of the serial driver will have this feature, though
>you'll need a new booter and also to change the line in /etc/ttys. If
>you just want to connect at the faster rate, just change the baud rate
>in the line in /etc/ttys.  I don't recomend 57600 for serious data
>transfer in. 38400 seems ok.

I wouldn't even use 38400...the transfers screw up at or around 9600, even.
2400 baud seems very stable, as far as i can tell. slightly more errors
when i get to 9600, but over 19200 pushes the limit on the number of errors
you can stand :-\
running ppp over the device is something else, but the getty driver can't
handle it. (from my experience, anyway, like trying to use slirp or zmodem
file xfers)
  - a