Subject: Re: Serial console progress, but questions remain...
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/05/1997 17:22:56
At 3:48 PM -0400 7/5/97, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
>Hi! I figured out that I needed to turn on the serial ports in /etc/ttys to
>log in over a serial line. However, I still get the following:
>
>Jul  5 08:13:22 myname getty[137]: /dev/ttye0: Device not configured
>
>It doesn't stop me from logging in - it just spits itself out just after
>the "login: " prompt is put up - but I'm curious as to what it means.
>
>Anyway, thanks in advance for the ideas. :) I'm going to head out as soon
>as possible to find some of the recommended books.

hmm, serial "console" is different than a regular serial line login (e.g.
if you attached a dumb terminal to your printer port or something, and just
want to use it in addition to the screen on the SE/30).
To log in over a serial line, being a console rather than adding an entry
in /etc/ttys, you need to change something in the booter to let you log in
over the serial line. this would probably be what you want if the monitor
on the machine didn't work, or a driver for the internal video on the
machine hasn't been written yet.
To make the printer or modem port another login screen for your SE/30, but
not console, you want to replace "off" with "on" for either the /dev/tty00
(modem port) or /dev/tty01 (printer port). You might want to change the
secure/insecure entries if the terminal is going to be in a safe enough
place to let you log in as root (i.e. whereever the tty is going to be,
like another computer, or a dumb terminal), instead of logging in as a
regular user and su'ing to root.  I think this is what you want to do. even
though your machine may be headless, you still will get the login prompt at
console (being the internal video) and over the serial line. you might even
want this if your serial tty screws up, and you want to switch keyboards
and login over console to kill the process or something...it's much less of
a hassle than restarting, etc.
As for your /dev/ttye0 not being configured, you might want to select
"build devices" in the netbsd installer utility again (it won't hurt, even
if you did do it before), but i think it's because you're attempting to run
a serial console (option in the booter), and the internal video just sits
there doing nothing. is that a bug or something?
  - a