Subject: Re: Ethernet on a IIci
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Tristan Horn <tristan@camel.ethereal.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/04/1997 18:18:27
On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Tristan Horn wrote:
> ae0 at nubus0: address 00:40:10:02:e6:1f, type Ethernet A-Series, 16k mem.
> ae0: length does not match next packet pointer
> ae0: len 0000 nlen ff00 start 0c first 00 curr 20 next 00 stop 40
> ae0: NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length 65280
> checking quotas:Jul  5 17:20:36 thorn /netbsd: ae0: NIC memory corrupt -
> invalid packet length 65280
>
> No idea why NetBSD suddenly was able to find its MAC address... maybe I
> somehow reset the card by taking it out and putting it back in, or maybe
> it's because it was initialized by MacOS first.

Well, well.. now I feel like an idiot!  I actually hooked up another
device to the network and it works just fine.  Apparently, the reason why
I was getting very little traffic from a ping -f is because it was trying
to send ARP requests for the address first.

Now that there's more than one device on the network, I no longer get the
"NIC memory corrupt" errors either.

Thanks everyone...

Tris