Subject: Re: Ethernet on a IIci
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Tristan Horn <tristan@camel.ethereal.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/04/1997 16:13:58
On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Ken Nakata wrote:
> You may have to dump/view the content of the ROM, using MacsBug or Slots
> program.  A copy of Slots should be found on ftp.macbsd.com.

I have MacsBug installed, but I'm in the class of users who don't know how
to do anything useful with it other than es and rb.  :)

I couldn't find Slots at ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/

> On which machine it claims to work doesn't matter.  What matters to
> NetBSD "ae" or "sn" driver is what programming model it uses.  NIC
> chip and SONIC chip are different enough to need different drivers.
> Your card is recognized by the "ae" driver that takes care of NIC
> variation, but I have a feeling that yours is a SONIC chip which the
> "sn" driver should recognize.

I guess it's time to download ksrc121...

> (Is there any relationship between Sonic cards and SONIC chips?)

I'll leave that for someone else to answer.

> Before shelling out $$$, I suggest you check out the working status
> page on www.macbsd.com.

I was hoping a IIci user could point me to the card they're using, as well
as give me an indication of the price they paid for it.  How about the
MacCon-i?  (Replies to this should probably be sent privately; I don't
want to clutter the list with opinions on ethernet cards...)

Thanks,
Tris