Subject: Re: Ethernet on a IIci
To: None <tristan@camel.ethereal.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/04/1997 18:06:52
On Fri, 4 Jul 1997 14:49:27 -0700 (PDT),
Tristan Horn <tristan@camel.ethereal.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Ken Nakata wrote:
> > > ae0 at nubus0: address 00:00:00:00:00:00, type Ethernet A-Series, 16k mem.
> >
> > Looks like ae driver's having trouble getting the MAC address...  You
> > might want to take a look at the on-board ROM.
>
> Take a look at it?  Well, it has a sticker on it saying "SSI NB256 V1.0
> 004010 02E61F", and it's removable (not soldered on).
> I assume you want me to use some software to print out the contents...

Urm, sorry.  That's what I meant.  You may have to dump/view the
content of the ROM, using MacsBug or Slots program.  A copy of Slots
should be found on ftp.macbsd.com.

> > Ok, so we know the hardware isn't broken.  Is it a NIC (DP8390) or a
> > SONIC (DP83932, etc)?
>
> I couldn't find any mention of *NIC, DP* or 839* on the card.  The data
> sheet (linked off of http://www.sonicsys.com/cards.html) says that the
> controller is a "Sonic Custom ASIC" (or "SONIC-T" for the CommSlot cards,
> which I don't have).  It also says that the ROM size is 256 bytes.  The
> part number (of the card) is 01-SSC-0403, claimed to also work on
> Centris', Quadras, and NuBus PowerMacs.

On which machine it claims to work doesn't matter.  What matters to
NetBSD "ae" or "sn" driver is what programming model it uses.  NIC
chip and SONIC chip are different enough to need different drivers.
Your card is recognized by the "ae" driver that takes care of NIC
variation, but I have a feeling that yours is a SONIC chip which the
"sn" driver should recognize.

(Is there any relationship between Sonic cards and SONIC chips?)

> I suppose the easiest solution is to buy another card anyway, since I'm
> going to have to put this back in the IIfx.  What's the cheapest 10bT card
> I can get? :)

Before shelling out $$$, I suggest you check out the working status
page on www.macbsd.com.

Good luck,

Ken