Subject: Re: Ethernet on a IIci / IP masquerading
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Tristan Horn <tristan@camel.ethereal.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/04/1997 14:49:27
On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Ken Nakata wrote:
> > ae0 at nubus0: address 00:00:00:00:00:00, type Ethernet A-Series, 16k mem.
>
> Looks like ae driver's having trouble getting the MAC address...  You
> might want to take a look at the on-board ROM.

Take a look at it?  Well, it has a sticker on it saying "SSI NB256 V1.0
004010 02E61F", and it's removable (not soldered on).

I assume you want me to use some software to print out the contents...

> > It's a Sonic Systems Ether TwP Mac II in slot D.  Works fine in MacOS on
> > my IIfx & IIci without any special drivers.
>
> Ok, so we know the hardware isn't broken.  Is it a NIC (DP8390) or a
> SONIC (DP83932, etc)?

I couldn't find any mention of *NIC, DP* or 839* on the card.  The data
sheet (linked off of http://www.sonicsys.com/cards.html) says that the
controller is a "Sonic Custom ASIC" (or "SONIC-T" for the CommSlot cards,
which I don't have).  It also says that the ROM size is 256 bytes.  The
part number (of the card) is 01-SSC-0403, claimed to also work on
Centris', Quadras, and NuBus PowerMacs.

I suppose the easiest solution is to buy another card anyway, since I'm
going to have to put this back in the IIfx.  What's the cheapest 10bT card
I can get? :)

Tris