Subject: Re: Lost target files until reboot
To: None <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/04/1997 12:00:35
> Re: Lost target files until reboot
>
> Openbsd on the mac68k doesn't have this problem at boottime.

To be fair, most netbsd/mac68k systems don't have this problem
either (files disapearing). And, AFAICT from www.openbsd.org, the
machine-dependant parts of both ports are the same. Thus chances
are it's not OS dependant.

The real problem with this bug is that I don't really think anyone
knows what's wrong. :-(

> On Wed, 2 Jul 1997 10:13:08 +0100 (BST) Patrick Welche wrote...
> > There was one bit I didn't get with all the lun checking etc. It
> > could be that as the kernel was generic, it was looking for all it
> > could find on the scsi bus, but I didn't see there was a problem
> > there.

What was wrong here, as I remember, is that your CD PLAYER has a quirk.
SCSI devices, according to the spec, can have up to 8 logical units
tied to the same SCSI controller. They are addressed via "Logical Unit
Numbers," or LUN's. Thus if controllers were expensive compared to
drives, you could hang a few off of one controller. Also, some
multi-disk CD players use LUN's for the different disks.

GENERIC kernels scan the whole bus on startup, probing each LUN on a
device. Most devices that only support one, like all the hard disks
I own, say "I've got only one LUN." But some devices don't, and
spit back garbage when the computer tries to probe the other LUN's.
That's what all the ukX's were.

Someone else mentioned that your hard disk might have a different
quirk. That is it behaves a little non-standardly (well, not how the
SCSI system expects). Something to do with saving data pointers.
Adding that quirk for your drive to the kernel would tell the kernel to
treat your HD a little differently.

I think you're right that it's silly to compile a kernel on your system
right now. I hope the person who offered to make you one can help.

Take care,

Bill