Subject: Re: rolling your own kernels
To: John Ostrowick <jon@colossus.cs.wits.ac.za>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@Glue.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/04/1997 07:31:41
On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, John Ostrowick wrote:

> hi y'all
>
> i d/l'ded the whole ksrc directory but it has no instructions on how to
> join all those segments up so that say tar.gz will be happy to untar it.
>
> how does one glue all those files together into being a tarball in order to
> try a compile?
>
> please reply to me directly
>
> thanks very much

> John Ostrowick
> Computer Science Department,   University of the Witwatersrand
> 1 Jan Smuts Ave, Johannesburg, South Africa. Senate House 1012
> Phone: +27 11 716-3783         Fax: +27 11 339-3513
> jon@cs.wits.ac.za              jon@is.co.za
> My web page: http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/more/jon/aboutme.html
> My ftp site: ftp://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za
> My listserv: subscr@cs.wits.ac.za (body of 'help')

Yeesh, it's been a while for me, I don't remember what the ksrc segment
filenames look like, but I'll take a guess, they probably looklike
ksrc1 ksrc2 etc or maybe they looklike ksrca ksrcb ksrcc ... any
way the concept is the same, you want to create one file whose
contents is the concatenation of the contents of the little
segments.  Did I give it away?  use the cat command and shell redirection
ie:
cat ksrc* > ksrc.tar.gz
I am even pretty sure that the shell wildcard * will be expanded
in lexographic order (which is what you want.)(list them by hand
if they aren't expanded right

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@Glue.umd.edu