Subject: Performa 430 NetBSD Install
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William Quay <wquay@fast.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/1997 22:01:32
Dear BSD folks,

I am new to this so please be kind. I have a Performa 430 with 120 MB
hard drive and 8MB memory. I have a working knowledge of UNIX and MacOS,
but am not a technical guru in either. I read the FAQ and other info at
the NetBSD site, and have lurked on this list for a while.

Here's my story of woe in trying to install NetBSD:

Downloaded the 1.2 release, created a A/UX volume on the Mac HD. Loaded
all the NetBSD stuff on a Zip Drive. Ran the installer and followed the
directions to the best of my ability. It ran through without apparent
error. I restarted the machine, started the installer, it mounts
partition 'A' as /. I am now able to run the mini-shell and list
directories. All ready to boot up in single user mode as a test. So I
close the installer, run the booter (1.9.4). Set options to use "netbsd"
as kernel, 8MB RAM, don't bother me with untested machine messages, and
away we go. It boots, I won't list everything here, but can give it to
you if you need it - basicaly it loads into memory, sets video memory,
prints copyright info, LC II, real & avail memory, 128 buffers, mrg:
"Mac Classic...", then "adb: bus subsystem" and hangs.

So I restart, and try again with "extra debug" turned on & it goes
through the same deal,  but now after the "adb subsystem" message it
also prints:

"Got following HwCfg Flags: 0xec00, 0x 773f, 0x 1a6, 0x0"
"mrg: setup_egret:"
"mrg: setup_egret: done."

And then it hangs.

Feel free to offer advice. Also, I find the doc clear enough it it's own
way, but is there any step-by-step guide to installing this? I guess I
am a bit linear. 1..2..3 works best for me. Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks in advance...

Bill

          William M Quay
          1490 Maple Rd