Subject: Re: Mounting, compiling, & driver writing
To: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/1997 21:41:12
At 16:03 Uhr +0200 01.07.1997, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:
>Please bear with me - I'm an old hand at programming, but new to UNIX:

Welcome to NetBSD...

>I can boot netBSD fine, but how do I get the other UNIX partition to mount?

man 8 mount? (i.e. do a "mount /dev/sd0g /mountdir" assuming your second
*BSD partition is at g. You can verify that doing a "disklabel sd0c" as
root.)

>2) What is the recommended method for recompiling the sources?
>	(Or is there a FAQ around that describes this?)

For the kernel sources:

	su
	cd /sys/arch/mac68k/conf
	cp GENERIC YOUR_KERNEL_CONFIGURATION
	emacs YOUR_KERNEL_CONFIGURATION
	config YOUR_KERNEL_CONFIGURATION
	cd ../compile/YOUR_KERNEL_CONFIGURATION
	make depend && make
	cp /netbsd /netbsd.OLD
	cp netbsd /netbsd
	shutdown -r now

For userland sources:

	su
	cd /usr/src
	make build

-- Good luck ;)

www.netbsd.org has Dave Burgess' generic *BSD FAQ (~350K) which is also
posted weekly to comp.os.bsd.netbsd.announce; www.macbsd.com has Colin's
MacBSD FAQ which is not much shorter. Should give you enough to read for a
start. ;)

>3) Is there any body of information about writing drivers?

Ummm... The books that I know of are either SysV-centered or deal with 1986
VAX 4.3BSD stuff. Depending on how much money you want to spend, I can
recommend

o  "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System" (McKusick
et al.; Addison-Wesley 1996) -- The BSD bible, sort of

o  "Unix Internals - The New Frontiers" (U. Vahalia;, Prentice Hall 1996)
-- Where it covers similar topics as the Red Book I found it to be *much*
clearer than the BSD Bible.

o  "Writing a UNIX(TM) Device Driver" (Egan, Teixeira; Wiley 1992) -- Ah
well; at least it has sample driver code. After your first driver you may
or may not understand the book...

o  And then, there's always The Source. =8)

Hope that helps some,

	hauke