Subject: Re: Mounting, compiling, & driver writing
To: None <drk@shore.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/1997 15:53:31
On Tue, 1 Jul 1997 15:39:00 -0500,
"Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D." <drk@shore.net> wrote:
> >disklabel sd?
>
> When I do this, I get:
>
> disklabel: /dev/rsd?: No such file or directory

I'm sure Colin meant that you should replace ? with the actual device
number such as (most likely) 0.

> >mount /dev/sd?? /path/to/mount_point/here

This '??', likewise.

> cat /etc/fstab

You have to edit fstab by yourself if you didn't tell Installer to
do it for you.  Assuming your additional BSD partition is recognized
as sd0g, your additional line in fstab would be:

/dev/sd0g	/whereever/mount/point/you/like	ffs	rw 1 2

Here, of course you should replace the /whereever/... part with the
actual path name of your choice.  Such as /home, /usr2, /opt, or
whatever.

> so I forgot, in the list above, about the swap partition. The map is actually:
>
>  	0	UNIX root & usr		200 Meg
>  	1	UNIX boot		80 Meg
>  	2	UNIX usr		200 Meg
>  	3	Mac boot vol		200 Meg
>  	4	Mac vol			200 Meg
>  	5	Mac v0l			<200 Meg

Where's the swap partition?  And what's the UNIX "boot" partition?

> >> 3) Is there any body of information about writing drivers?
> >
> >Unfortunately, that's pretty much RTSL (Read the Source, Luke ;-)
>
> (Sigh!)

What driver did you have in your mind?  It may have been done by
some other people, depending on the device.

Ken