Subject: Re: Mounting, compiling, & driver writing
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/1997 15:39:00
>> Please bear with me - I'm an old hand at programming, but new to UNIX:
>>
>> 1) My HD is partitioned
>> 	0	UNIX root & usr		200 Meg
>> 	1	UNIX usr		200 Meg
>> 	2	Mac boot vol		200 Meg
>> 	3	Mac vol			200 Meg
>> 	4	Mac v0l			<200 Meg
>>
>> I can boot netBSD fine, but how do I get the other UNIX partition to mount?
>
>First you need to know which partition is which.  Your partition 0 is most
>likely going to be /dev/sd?a, where ? is the number which gets mapped to
>your hard drive at boot time.  To see where the other partitions get
>mapped to, do a:
>
>disklabel sd?

When I do this, I get:

disklabel: /dev/rsd?: No such file or directory

(When I boot netBSD, the boot volume is sd0a)

>(you need to be root to do this).  Then you can either do a:
>
>mount /dev/sd?? /path/to/mount_point/here
>
>or else add the appropriate line to /etc/fstab.

cat /etc/fstab
gives:

/dev/sd0a	/	ufs	rw 1 1
/dev/sd0b	none	swap	sw 0 0
kern		/kern	kernfs	rw 0 0
proc		/proc	procfs	rw 0 0

so I forgot, in the list above, about the swap partition. The map is actually:

 	0	UNIX root & usr		200 Meg
 	1	UNIX boot		80 Meg
 	2	UNIX usr		200 Meg
 	3	Mac boot vol		200 Meg
 	4	Mac vol			200 Meg
 	5	Mac v0l			<200 Meg

>If this is a pain, I believe that running the installer and doing an
>
>fstab force
>
>in the mini-shell will accomplish the same thing.

This gives:

Attempting to create  etc/fstab
dev=0x0400, block=4089, fs=/
blkfree: freeing free frag

...and there it hangs. I waited about a half-hour, just to see if it was
doing anything, but no, it wasn't.

(This was Installer 1.1, which comes with the NetBSD 1.2.1 that I am using.

>> 2) What is the recommended method for recompiling the sources?
>> 	(Or is there a FAQ around that describes this?)
>
>There is a kernel-compiling HOWTO which Allen wrote a couple of years ago.
>It is still pretty much correct tho.  I think that it's at:
>
>http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/

Thanks, I'll check it out!

>> 3) Is there any body of information about writing drivers?
>
>Unfortunately, that's pretty much RTSL (Read the Source, Luke ;-)

(Sigh!)

>Although there might be a few books out there that are helpful.

I'll look around.

>I hope this helps some.
>
>Later.
>
>--