Subject: Re: Mounting, compiling, & driver writing
To: Daniel R. Killoran Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/1997 12:36:45
> Please bear with me - I'm an old hand at programming, but new to UNIX:
>
> 1) My HD is partitioned
> 	0	UNIX root & usr		200 Meg
> 	1	UNIX usr		200 Meg
> 	2	Mac boot vol		200 Meg
> 	3	Mac vol			200 Meg
> 	4	Mac v0l			<200 Meg
>
> I can boot netBSD fine, but how do I get the other UNIX partition to mount?

First you need to know which partition is which.  Your partition 0 is most
likely going to be /dev/sd?a, where ? is the number which gets mapped to
your hard drive at boot time.  To see where the other partitions get
mapped to, do a:

disklabel sd?

(you need to be root to do this).  Then you can either do a:

mount /dev/sd?? /path/to/mount_point/here

or else add the appropriate line to /etc/fstab.

If this is a pain, I believe that running the installer and doing an

fstab force

in the mini-shell will accomplish the same thing.

> 2) What is the recommended method for recompiling the sources?
> 	(Or is there a FAQ around that describes this?)

There is a kernel-compiling HOWTO which Allen wrote a couple of years ago.
It is still pretty much correct tho.  I think that it's at:

http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/

> 3) Is there any body of information about writing drivers?

Unfortunately, that's pretty much RTSL (Read the Source, Luke ;-)
Although there might be a few books out there that are helpful.

I hope this helps some.

Later.