Subject: Newbie looking for affectionate kernel...
To: None <onat@ohv.kuee.kyoto-u.ac.jp, port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Onat Ahmet <onat@ohv.kuee.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/1997 10:49:14
Hi;

Just started trying to install NetBSD on a newly acquired
MAC Classic-II(mono). Apart from a couple of problems so far,
I hope to succeed after getting the latest version of the
installer(and repair the Mac OS partition that the installer
junked!).

The problem is this: I am installing on

MO drive (5 1/4 in, 290+MB) and
HDD, 100 MB

with 10MB RAM.

The HDD is now partitioned to 20+80MB, 20 destined to be the swap,
80 holding the BSD distribution. I want to install everything onto
the MO drive, and then format the 80MB HDD partition, and use it as
the users directory. Also, /tmp and other frequently written
directories will go into that 80MB partition, because MO is slow
when writing.

The problem is that the meta-FAQ says no matter what you do with
fstab, the swap must be on the same disk as the rest of the root,
unless you compile a new kernel(BTW, the distribution kernel file
is "netbsd12", and is tar-gzipped, right?)...

So, does anyone have a suitable kernel to give me for the above setup,
or am I talking nonsense here?

Also, does X-windows run on this machine, or do I have to use the serial
port (the Install document, and the machine status list are conflicting;
the former says it won't, the latter says it will...

Thanks for any help.

Ahmet ONAT

| Ahmet ONAT  Kyoto Univ. Japan                                 |
| E-mail    : onat@kuee.kyoto-u.ac.jp                           |
| WWW page  : http://turbine.kuee.kyoto-u.ac.jp/staff/onat.html |
|             My 6 leg walker, RC airplanes & more in home page |

   Land mines kill civilians in peacetime! Support total ban.